The Straddie Chamber of Commerce was formed in 2011 by North Stradbroke Island-based businesses to meet the challenges of the economic transition period from primarily sand mining to alternative industries.
The last two or three years have seen the COVID pandemic turn the business world upside down. Running a small business is a very different proposition than it was in 2019!
The Chamber represents every kind of business including trades, services, resources, transport, accommodation (including rental property owners), hospitality, attractions and tours.
The Chamber is affiliated with the Chamber of Commerce and Industry Queensland (CCIQ), the peak body for Queensland businesses.
Island businesses are represented on the following committees:
- CCIQ Redlands Regional Policy Committee
- CCIQ QLD Policy Advisory Board
- Redland City Tourism Sub-Committee
- Redlands Coast Regional Jobs Committee
- Redlands Coast Business Leaders Quarterly Boardroom Forum
- NSI Youth & Socail Justice Working Group
The objectives of the Straddie Chamber of Commerce are to:
- Actively assist members to maintain sustainable businesses, now and into the future
- Promote Straddie and island businesses to visitors and create jobs for the local community
- Speak as a unified voice to Government and stakeholders at all levels and represent the interests of members
- Seek opportunities through funding sources, to facilitate business mentoring, advice, training and development for members and their staff
- Enable members to work together on issues and projects to assist one another
- Protect the natural attributes of Straddie, respect cultural values and retain the island lifestyle
- Organise business networking opportunities across all forms, sizes and structures of business on Straddie
- Provide a central point of communication for members conveying information on news and events